Film and TV in White Cliffs Country
Have you ever been inspired to visit a location after seeing it showcased on TV or in a film?
Our rich and well-known history, our stunning White Cliffs, our connections with the suave James Bond and other iconic characters, our links with writers like Jane Austen, our beautiful buildings and landscapes, our towns and villages brimming with timeless charm make it an ideal choice for film, TV dramas and documentaries.
Take a walk with us as we stroll through the world of film and TV!
As seen on TV!
It's exciting when you spot a place you recognise on TV!
- Fantasy Homes by the Sea showcased Deal, Sandwich and St Margaret's.
- Kirstie and Phil have tempted clients with properties in our area on more that one occasion in Channel 4's Location, Location, Location and Relocation Relocation!
- The Antiques Road Trip featured a few of our popular antique shops with a quick stop at The Roman Painted House for some history and culture.
- Dominic and Stephanie Parker, owners of The Salutation, an elegant manor house offering luxurious accommodation for guests, put Sandwich firmly on the map in Channel 4's Four in a Bed. You will recognise them as the popular 'posh couple' in the award-winning Gogglebox on Channel 4!
- Secret Britain, a BBC series showcasing hidden corners of the UK.
History is a hot topic in our area with many documentaries and films being shot!
- Dan Snow presented Battlefield Britain with his father, Jon, for the BBC at Drop Redoubt and the Western Heights. He has also shared his knowledge with us at Dover Castle with co-presenter Sian Williams in National Treasures Live
- Battle Castle with Dan Snow: Dover Castle.
- TV presenter and archaeologist, Neil Oliver, featured The Bronze Age Boat at Dover Museum in his series A History of Ancient Britain.
- The last-ever episode of Time Team, The Boats that Made Britain - A Time Team Special appeared on our TV screens. This told the story of our famous Dover Bronze Age Boat and the reconstruction of the replica with Tony Robinson, the archaeologists and team of experts explaining the process and history.
- Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys featured Dover and Channel Swimming. (2016)
- Secrets of Great British Castles (2015) A Channel 5 series. Historian Dan Jones tells the history of Dover Castle.
- Renowned wildlife cameraman, Richard Taylor Jones has filmed, presented and captivated us with the water voles along our riverbanks, ravens on our White Cliffs, and 'the secret seals of the South East' with fascinating filming on the Goodwin Sands and further along the coast with the help of Dover Sea Safari who take visitors out on seal spotting trips. These reports and enchanting films were featured on the popular BBC's Autumnwatch, Springwatch and Countryfile.
Adverts have also featured our special part of the UK.
- In July 2013, British Airways' first A380 and a jet from the Red Arrows team joined up for a flypast over the iconic White Cliffs. British Airways' Senior First Officer Peter Nye said: 'The White Cliffs of Dover were an amazing backdrop and helped us to display the best of British'.
- The Crocodile Dundee legend, Australian actor Paul Hogan, tempted the nation with Foster's Lager on the beautiful beach at Deal!
- A host of world-famous celebrities descended on the quiet medieval town of Sandwich for a Walkers Crisps advert. Gary Lineker, Pamela Anderson, JLS, Frank Lampard, Jenson Button, Al Murray, and Marco Pierre White all took part to the delight of the locals who witnessed the filming in their historic town.
Film and Drama
- Vanity Fair (2017): filming at Deal for new ITV series
- Liar (2017): ITV thriller series starring Joanne Froggatt and Ioan Gruffudd. Features Deal Pier, Deal and Kingsdown
- The Tunnel, series 3 (2017): Vengeance - filming started March 2017
- The Tunnel, series 2 (2016): Sabotage
- The Tunnel, Series 1 (2013:) Sky Atlantic crime drama series starring Stephen Dillane and Clémence Poésy. Features Deal Pier and Dover
- Wolf Hall (2015): BBC Historical drama based on the book by English author, Hilary Mantel. Filming at Dover Castle.
- Into the Woods (2015): The famous Disney production starring Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, James Corden, and Emily Blunt. Filming at Dover Castle.
- Mr Selfridge, series 3 (2015): featured the South Foreland Lighthouse.
- Southcliffe: a four part series set in Kent, featured our local East Kent Railway.
- LittleDorrit (2008): An adaptation for the BBC that Dickens would approve of - filmed at Deal Castle.
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008): A big hit in starring Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson and Eric Bana and others. Dover Castle made a very convincing Tower of London!
Other films and drama
- Johnny English (2003)
- The Wind in the Willows (1996)
- Hamlet (1990) directed by Franco Zeffirelli.
- Alfie Darling (1975)
- Diamonds are Forever - Bond Film (1971)
- The War Game (1965)
- Dunkirk (1958)
- To Kill a King
- Lady Jane