Battle of Britain Memorial
The Battle of Britain Memorial to the Few, Scramble Experience & The Geoffrey Page Centre.
A stone figure of a pilot in contemplative mood stands as a permanent tribute to the bravery and sacrifice of those who served their country so unselfishly in her hour of need.
The National Memorial to the Few at Capel-le-Ferne, on the famous White Cliffs between Dover and Folkestone in Kent, occupies a special place in the hearts and minds of all those who have visited this moving site.
Maintained by the Battle of Britain Memorial Trust, the site at Capel-le-Ferne is dedicated to Churchill’s famous “Few” who fought in the skies overhead to keep this country free from invasion.
The Memorial itself inspires quiet reflection on the bravery and sacrifice shown by the aircrew – fewer than 3,000 men – who flew, fought and sometimes died in probably the most crucial battle fought by this country in the whole of the 20th century.
Situated high on the White Cliffs, this stirring Memorial to the heroes of the Battle of Britain has become a place of pilgrimage for anyone with an interest in the remarkable story of how the RAF changed the course of World War ll.
In March 2015, Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh opened the new visitor experience - an iconic new wing building which provides an exciting addition to the site, using audio-visual effects to give visitors an idea of life during the Battle.
Other site attractions include full-scale Spitfire and Hurricane replicas, the Memorial itself, the Christopher Foxley-Norris Memorial Wall which lists the names of all those who took part in the Battle of Britain, and a shop and café.
- Pedestrian access to the site (including the Memorial) is free.
- There are admission charges for the Scramble Experience: Adult £6; OAP/Friend of the Few £5; Child (5 – 16) £4 (under 5s free); Family (2+2) £16.50
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for group and educational rates.
- 1 March to 31 May: 10am – 5pm (last entry to Experience/cafe purchase 4.30pm)
- 1 June to 30 September: 10am – 6pm (last entry/purchase 5.30pm)
- 1 October to 28 February: 10am – 4pm (last entry/purchase 3.30pm)
- New Dover Road, Capel-le-Ferne, Folkestone, Kent, CT18 7JJ
- See location on Google maps
- Map reference: TR 242380 Lat: 51.09744 Long: 1.20072
- The site is approached from either Dover or Folkestone on the B2011 at Capel-le-Ferne
- Parking: there is a small charge for parking
- Nearest station: 5 miles (8.0 kms) from Folkestone (Central) station