Fort Burgoyne is situated on the high ground to the north of Dover Castle. Following a Royal Commission in 1859 to consider the present defence fortifications of the UK, General Sir John Burgoyne suggested that a fort should be built to protect the castle from attack, fearing that an attacker could occupy the high ground and dominate the castle.
Construction began in 1861and the fort was finally completed in 1868. It's original name was Castle Hill Fort but was changed to Fort Burgoyne in honour of General Sir John Burgoyne.
The fort was constructed as a polygonal structure, with a surrounding ditch, flanked by three demi-caponniers and a double caponnier to the North. Two detached wing batteries to the East and West of the main fort were also constructed in spurs off the main ditch. The main fort comprised a large parade ground, to the North of which was a long row of casemates, which provided the barrack accommodation for soldiers and officers. Above the casemates, on the terreplein, were Haxo Casemates, which housed the guns. The fort remained within the Connaught Barracks.
- Fort Burgoyne, Dover, Kent, CT16 1SF
- See location on Google maps.
- Map reference: TR 321418 Lat: 51.13740 Long: 1.32357
- Accessible by Public Transport : Dover Priory station