Visitors| Groups| Members|
Home > See & Do > Attractions > Historic Sites

Historic Sites

Sandwich Guildhall

Sandwich Guildhall

Description
Built during the reign of Elizabeth I The Guildhall has been enlarged and modified in more recent times. Tours of the building include visits to the ancient Court Room, Council Chamber and Mayor's Parlour.
South Foreland Lighthouse

South Foreland Lighthouse

Description
A striking landmark on the White Cliffs of Dover, this historic building was the site of Faraday's work in pioneering the use of electricity in lighthouses, and was the first to display an electrically powered signal. South Foreland was also used by Marconi for his successful wireless experiments in 1898.

St Clement's Church

Description
Small church set between the house and outbuildings of Knowlton Court. St Clements Church is medieval in origin but outwardly Victorian.
St Edmund's Chapel, Dover

St Edmund's Chapel, Dover

Description
St Edmund's Chapel is one of the smallest churches in England in regular use. The chapel was consecrated in 1253 by Richard, Bishop of Chichester, who dedicated it to his friend St Edmund, Archbishop of Canterbury, who had died in 1245 and was canonised in 1247. Richard himself was canonised in 1262 thus St Edmund's Chapel is the only church still in existence that was dedicated to one English saint by another.
St Mary's Church Capel-le-Ferne

St Mary's Church Capel-le-Ferne

Description
This church is remote from the road and squats snugly on bleak downland above Folkestone, looking towards France. A single Norman window, with a little contemporary wall painting in the reveal, indicates its early origins; but most notable is a 14th Century three arched stone rood-screen with, uniquely in England, an arched opening above for the rood itself. There are ancient roof timbers, a small brass and a 13th Century piscina.
St Mary's Church Sandwich

St Mary's Church Sandwich

Description
St Mary's occupies what may be the oldest church site in Sandwich, where a 7th century convent was founded of which nothing now survives. There remains substantial parts of a large Norman church, despite the town having been sacked by the French in the 13th and 15th centuries, an earthquake in the 16th and the collapse of the tower in the 17th. The north arcade was then replaced with massive chestnut columns and the immense barn-like breadth of the nave and south aisle was roofed in one span. The tower over the south porch has a wooden belfry built in 1718; there are monuments from several periods and some interesting fittings.
St Mary's Church, Dover

St Mary's Church, Dover

Description
The parish church of St Mary-the-Virgin situated in the heart of Dover.
St Peter's Church & Haven Heights

St Peter's Church & Haven Heights

Description
The tower of St Peter's Church in Sandwich dominates the skyline of the town. The churches long and eventful history has moulded the character of the building.
The Drop Redoubt

The Drop Redoubt

Description
One of the most important and impressive fortifications in Britain, the Western Heights are a series of strong points linked by miles of ditches on the western hilltop above Dover. They were originally begun during the American War of Independence, were strengthened during the Napoleonic Wars and updated and strengthened again in the mid-19th Century.
The Grand Shaft

The Grand Shaft

Description
A unique triple staircase, winding round a central light-well, dropping 140 feet through the cliffs. Built during the Napoleonic Wars to link the Harbour to the barracks on Western Heights, enabling military to ascend or descend quickly.
Displaying 11 to 20 of 24
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Telephone: 01304 201066

email: tic@doveruk.com

Telephone: 01304 201066    email: tic@doveruk.com