Roman Painted House
The Roman Painted House was discovered by Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit in the 1970s.
Built about AD 200 it formed part of a large mansio or official hotel for travellers crossing the English Channel.
Five rooms of a major Roman hotel (or mansio, built AD 200), when Dover (Dubris) was the leading naval base and Gateway to Roman Britannia.
Large areas of painted murals uniquely survive showing scenes from the God Bacchus. Also elaborate underfloor heating systems (hypocaust) and a massive fort wall cut through the hotel in AD 260 by the army defending Roman Britain.
Detailed displays on Roman Dover, finds cases and publications. This leading Dover tourist attraction was discovered and excavated by the Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit 1970-5.
- Displays on Roman Dover.
- Ideal for school and group visits.
- There is a garden area for picnics.
The Roman Painted House is managed and staffed entirely by volunteers. Occasionally volunteers may not be available as planned. If you are travelling a distance, please call in advance to check that this attraction will be open.
- Adults £3.00
- Students £2.00
- Seniors (over 65) and Children (under 16) £2.00
- Family (2 Adults + 2 Children) £8.00
- Group rates on application.
Unfortunately, it may not be possible to open every Sunday. Please contact the Roman Painted House if you wish to visit on a Sunday - telephone 01304 203279 or 01689 860939.
- 4 - 18 April: Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 - 17:00, Sunday 13:00 - 17:00
- 19 April - 31 May: Tuesday and Saturday only 10:00 - 17:00
- 1 June - 20 September: Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 - 17:00, Sunday 13:00 to 17:00
- Last entry 4.30pm.
- For opening hours after this date, please call The Roman Painted House on 01304 203279 and ask a member of staff for further details.
- Open to Schools and Groups/Societies.
- Group visits March to December by arrangement.
- The Roman Painted House is managed and staffed entirely by volunteers. Occasionally volunteers may not be available as planned. If you are travelling a distance, please call in advance to check that this attraction will be open.
- Roman Painted House at Dover, New Street, Dover, Kent, CT17 9AJ
- See location on Google maps.
- Map reference: TR 318414 Lat: 51.12564 Long: 1.31164
- Town centre location. Follow sign-posts to forecourt area.
- 500 metres to nearest station, Dover Priory.
- Parking : free
- Accessible by Public Transport : Dover Priory station