The Grand Shaft
A unique triple staircase, winding round a central light-well, dropping 140 feet through the cliffs. Built during the Napoleonic Wars to link the Harbour to the barracks on Western Heights, enabling military to ascend or descend quickly.
The Grand Shaft is open to the public on the third Sunday of each month from April to September, but will open for groups who pre book tours beforehand.
- Group rates: 15 or more people 10% discount. Book in advance
- The Grand Shaft is closed over the winter months.
- See the Dover Western Heights website for details.
- The Western Heights Preservation Society holds two Open Days in the year. The Grand Shaft will be open.
- Heritage Open Days - The Grand Shaft will be open to support this event in September.
- The Grand Shaft, Snargate Street, Dover, Kent, CT17 9DA
- See location on Google maps.
- Map reference: TR 317409 Lat: 51.12050 Long: 1.30951
- The Grand Shaft is situated on Western Heights and also accessible just off A20.
- Nearest station : Dover Priory Train Station