Walmer Castle & Gardens
This castle, now in the care of English Heritage, was built in 1540 as part of Henry Vlll's chain of coastal defences.
Centuries of domestic refinements have transformed it from a fortress to an elegant stately home with beautiful gardens.
It is the official residence of the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, and has been home to an incredible range of characters.
See the original Wellington boots, stand where the Duke of Wellington died. Visit the rooms, including the reception rooms of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
Explore the magnificent gardens including the broad walk, kitchen garden, and contemporary Queen Mother's Garden before visiting the Tearoom.
Visit the English Heritage website for a list of Events to be held at Walmer Castle & Gardens.
- Access to castle: via cobbled and flagstone walkway and wooden drawbridge. Gatehouse and ground-floor rooms accessible via ramps. Easy flight of stairs to upper floor with handrail.
- Gardens: main route from house is not practical but there is an alternative route using a side gate. Smooth grass and gravel paths within grounds.
- Shop: level access.
- Parking: Disabled passengers can be dropped off at castle entrance. Parking is available on site depending on the weather; otherwise there is free public parking opposite the castle entrance.
- Visually Impaired Visitors: Audio tour included in admission price. Please be aware there are changes in floor levels and dim lighting in the house.
- Hearing Impaired Visitors: Audio tour with hearing loop included in admission price. Script also available.
- Adult £10.70
- Concession £9.60
- Child (5-15yrs) £6.40
- Family ticket (2 adults and 3 children) £27.80
- Children under 5 and Members/OVP FREE
Group discounts available.
- 1 Jan: closed
- 2 Jan - 12 Feb: Mon - Fri closed; Sat & Sun 10:00 - 16:00
- 13 - 17 Feb: Mon - Sun 10:00 - 16:00
- 18 Feb - 31 March: Mon - Tues closed; Wed - Sun 10:00 - 16:00
- 1 April - 30 September: Monday - Sunday 10:00 - 18:00
- 7 - 9 July closed: Lord Warden is in residence
- 1 - 31 October: 10:00 - 17:00
- 1 November - 23 December: Monday - Friday closed; Saturday & Sunday 10:00 - 18:00
- 24 - 26 December: closed
- 27 December - 1 January: closed Tuesday; Monday, Wednesday to Sunday 10:00 - 16:00
- 2 January - 11 February: Monday - Friday closed; Saturday & Sunday 10:00 - 16:00
- 12 - 18 February: Monday - Sunday 10:00 - 16:00
- 19 February - 29 March Monday & Tuesday closed; Wednesday - Sunday 10:00 - 16:00
- 30 March onwards: opening times will be available nearer the time.
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day - Closed
Good Friday, Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, Early May Bank Holiday, Spring Bank Holiday, Summer Bank Holiday Open 10:00-18:00
Tel: 01304 364288
- Walmer Castle & Gardens, Kingsdown Road, Walmer, Deal, Kent, CT14 7LJ
- See location on Google maps.
- Map reference: TR 377501 Lat: 51.20063 Long: 1.40116
- South of Walmer on A258.
- Disabled passengers can be dropped off at castle entrance. Parking is available on site depending on the weather; otherwise there is free public parking opposite the castle entrance.
- Parking : free
- Accessible by Public Transport : Walmer Station