1. Our world-famous WHITE CLIFFS of DOVER
Described recently in an article in The Guardian as one of the top ten places to walk in the country, enjoy spectacular views on an exhilarating cliff top walk on the world famous White Cliffs.
Want to know more? Discover quirky facts about the White Cliffs, including the origins of the well-known song made famous by Vera Lynn, "There'll be Bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover..."
2. Our impressive History & Heritage
We begin our story about 6000 years ago - Dover has been inhabited since the Stone Age! Julius Caesar landed at Walmer during the Roman Invasion of 54 BC and Dover was the prime objective of the invasion plans of William the Conqueror, Napoleon and Hitler!
With 3 castles, 9 museums, 4 forts, a unique Timeball Tower, a Roman Painted House built about AD 200, windmills to explore, and a wealth of churches and historical monuments... you will be impressed!
Positioned at the narrowest part of the English Channel, our proximity to France was of stategic importance to Britain and we have guarded our shores from invasion for centuries.
To discover more, visit these pages on our website:
3. Our stunning Coast and Location
Cast your cares away and embrace coastal living! Being by the sea promotes a feeling of relaxation - have you noticed you sleep soundly after a day on the beach? It's the sea air!
Enjoy our beautiful bays and beaches, our coastal walks, our unique piers, fishing boats, yachts in the marina, our nautical towns with smuggling alleyways and traditions.
Did we mention the local, freshly caught fish and famous Dover sole? We think traditional Fish and Chips always taste better by the coast!
Also, did you know that France is only 21 miles away? You can often see the French coastline so why not stay in White Cliffs Country before heading to the continent or embarking on your cruise holiday?
4. Beautiful Countryside, Gardens & Country Parks
Gardens in White Cliffs Country are spectacular at all times of the year.
- With connections to Jane Austen, visit the beautiful and peaceful Goodnestone Park Gardens.
- Wander the tree lined avenues, with its Lutyen’s designed garden, at the Salutation Gardens of Sandwich. You may recognise The Salutation from Channel 4's Gogglebox!
- Explore the beautiful and sustainable Pines Gardens at St Margaret’s Bay.
- Visit Betteshanger Park with woodlands, country walks and cycle track. Wildlife is abundant!
As well as our striking coastline we also have wonderful countryside with stunning views, historic villages and ancient churches. Many of our villages display Historic Information Panels, which describe their origins and history through the centuries.
5. The perfect place for Walking and Cycling
Whether an experienced walker or casual rambler explore miles of marked walking and themed trails.
Why not walk part of the The North Downs Way?
With a huge amount of cycle routes and trails, bring your own bike or hire one, and discover the countryside on two wheels!
6. Exhilarating Coastal Activities and Outdoor Pursuits
- White Cliffs Country is totally geared up for outdoor lovers so take advantage of its miles of diverse and unspoilt coastline.
- Play a round of golf at one of the challenging championship courses in White Cliffs Country.
- Try a wide range of water based activities at Dover Sea Sports Centre.
- If you love wildlife then this is the place to come with seal spotting trips, nature trails, nature reserves, a wildlife park and conservation centre.
7. Culinary delights from the Garden of England
From cosy village pubs to gourmet restaurants, there’s something for everyone’s tastes in White Cliffs Country.
Nestled in the Garden of England, we place huge importance on quality and locally grown.
8. Quirky Hidden Gems
- Discover many hidden gems in White Cliffs Country! Pose by our unique Ham Sandwich signpost and share the image with your friends.
- Enjoy a pint in the popular White Horse Inn in Dover renowned for the signatures of Channel Swimmers past and present around its walls.
- Follow in the footsteps of 007 and Ian Fleming.
- Explore tunnels under the famous White Cliffs.
- Take part in Adult Sleepovers in the ghostly Dover Castle.
The list goes on - have we tempted you?
9. A unique shopping experience with a host of independent shops and art galleries
Relax with some retail therapy!
- Enjoy shopping at De Bradelei Wharf set in the beautiful marina at Dover.
- You’ll find a wealth of independent quirky shops and art galleries for that perfect gift in the unique town of Deal, winner of the Telegraph’s High Street of the Year 2013, and medieval Sandwich! Visit our Shopping and Markets section.
- For generations, artists, designers, writers and musicians have been inspired by our beautiful coastline, chalk downs, stunning countryside, smugglers' alleyways, historical heritage and nautical charisma.
- We have a lively arts scene with a host of independent galleries, exhibitions, workshops, and events.
10. Our Festivals and Regattas
Our Festivals and Regattas are traditional, fun, full of community spirit and everyone is invited!
Here in White Cliffs Country we have a bounty of Festivals.
Traditional ones like:
- Deal Folk by the Sea
- Sandwich Folk and Ale Festival
Festivals of music like:
- Deal Music and Arts Festival, attracting both national and international musicians and artists.
Food festivals include:
- The Sandwich Celebration when we remember the fourth Earl of Sandwich, who ordered beef served between slices of bread about 250 years ago and 'invented' our popular convenience meal!
Visit What's On to find out more.