Accessible Travel and Transport
The areas of Dover, Deal & Sandwich provide a number of transport services and facilities to assist disabled visitors.
- Trains: For more information on the facilities available on train services and at Dover, Deal and Sandwich stations please see the nationalrail.co.uk website.
- Taxi: The traintaxi database gives details of accessible taxi operators serving the area around each station.
- Parking: Disabled drivers may park up to three hours (not to exceed the maximum period) free of charge in the council’s car parks, providing a disabled persons valid blue badge and clock are displayed. Additional parking should be purchased from the machine. Most pay and display car parks have wide bays dedicated to disabled drivers. Disabled persons on-street parking exemptions apply.
- Buses: For more information on accessibility and bus routes through out the area please call Stagecoach on 0345 600 22 99 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dial-A-Ride Schemes: Dover Kent Karrier is a flexible dial-a-ride service taking members directly from their door to a number of useful destinations in their local area. All services are operated with wheelchair accessible vehicles and experienced drivers are on hand to help. You will need to apply for membership which cost just £5.00 a year. Return journeys cost £1.70 from Urban areas and £3.10 from Rural areas. When you wish to travel, just phone the operator at Thanet Community Transport Association on 01843 60 20 30 to organise your trip. Click on the link below for further details:
Crossing the Channel
Port of Dover
Customers with any special needs are advised to contact their ferry operator prior to travelling.
- Disabled parking bays for short or long stay parking can be found on the first two levels of the multi-storey car park at the Ferry Terminal. You can take lifts to and from these levels to the Travel Centre for check-in. The corridor to Embarkation for departures involves a reasonable walk.
- Loop systems for the Hard of Hearing: Induction loops to amplify announcements or conversations for passengers wearing aids are available within the main Ferry Terminal buildings.
- Toilets:Unisex disabled toilet facilities are available in various locations throughout the Ferry Terminal.
- Wheelchairs and facilities:Passengers with special needs are advised to contact their ferry operator. Your ferry operator can make wheelchairs available. Level or ramped access is installed at exits and entries to all our terminal buildings and walkways.
- Foot Passenger Transfers between Terminal and Ferries:Check with your ferry operator about the availability of the mobility bus from the Travel Centre or Embarkation Lounge. A port bus service operates from Embarkation to the ferries.
Cruise Terminal customer parking is on ground level and suitable for disabled passengers and wheelchair users. It is not possible to pre-book individual bays at anytime, however, should you need additional assistance when parking, please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff.
- Wheelchairs & facilities: Ample wheelchairs are available at both Cruise Terminals 1 and 2. In addition, wheelchair-friendly ramps are fitted on all split-levels in both buildings. The walkways leading to cruise ships are also wheelchair friendly to provide easy access to your liner.
- Toilets: Ample unisex disabled toilets are found at a number of different locations throughout both Cruise Terminals.
For more information and contact details please visit website www.doverport.co.uk
- Disabled passengers enter the Club Class lane at the front of the train so that they can disembark first.
- Accessible toilets located within the terminal building.
- Passengers that are members of the DDA (Disabled Drivers Association), DDMC (Disabled Drivers Motor Club) or DMA can receive a discounted fare on Eurotunnel.
- Customer Information – 0800 0969992.
- For further information visit website www.eurotunnel.com
Care 'N' Comfort Ltd - Dover
Wheelchair & Mobility Scooter hire service from only £10 per day, £30 per week wheelchair, £40 per week mobility scooter. No deposit or licence required- just 2 forms of I.D.