Cycle September 2019
Cycle Friendly Deal
A month-long celebration of all things cycling!
Deal Town Council’s Cycle Friendly Deal project is hosting Cycle September, a month-long celebration of all things cycling:
- Cycle tours, group rides, new & returner confidence sessions, a bike recycling scheme and an affordable bike sale.
- With the help of two local cycling groups, the Deal & Walmer Wheelers and Tuesday Tour, there will be weekly rides leaving from Deal Pier and Walmer Lifeboat Station.
- Deal Freewheeling will be leading the first ride of the month on the first, The Sandwich Roll, a chatty social ride from Hut 55. British Cycling’s Let’s Ride Group, Deal Bike Buddies, will lead a challenging ride to Thanet and back on the first Tuesday in September.
- Volunteer Ride Leaders will be guiding riders along new Cycle Friendly Deal leisure routes, Pier to Pit, Pier to Parlour and the Skylark Loop.
- With the help of the Deal Society, there will be a self-guided tour of the historic churches in Deal & Walmer which will be open as part of the Friends of Kent Churches Ride & Stride day on Saturday 14 September.
- The History Project’s George Chittenden will take riders on a tour along our historic seafront to discover why Henry VIII was forced to build a 2.5 mile-long fortress and also explore Deal’s shady smuggling past.
- Bill Butler, founder of the Royal Marines Heritage Trails will lead a poignant cycle tour on Saturday 22 September, The Downs Ride, between Sandown and Kingsdown.
- On Sunday 29th local club, Deal Tri, is inviting everyone to ride in memory of Daniel Squires. There’s no organised route, just do your own ride for Daniel. Deal Tri then invite you to join them for tea, coffee and cake at Ripple Village Hall.
- On Thursday lunchtimes throughout September, project co-ordinator Adrian Oliver will help new riders and people returning to riding to build their cycling confidence and skills.
- Donate-A-Bike week will start on Monday 9 September. People can bring serviceable, but unwanted bikes to the Town Hall. With the help of Kent County Council and Cycle Community CIC, these unwanted bikes will be refurbished for the Affordable Bike Sale at Deal Town Hall on Monday 16 September between 3-5pm.
- On Monday 16 September at Deal Town Hall there will be a free Cycle Maintenance Class. No experience or tools are required, just enthusiasm and interest to learn how to look after your own bike.
- There’s also an opportunity to take your bicycle for a night out at The Astor on Monday 9th September, where Deal Film Club is screening the award-winning film, ‘Wadjda’, about a young girl’s despair, determination and delight as she pursues her dream of buying and riding a green bicycle.
- After all these activities on Saturday 19 October, at the start of the school half term, there will be a Cycle Celebration in St George’s Memorial Garden with lots of cycle themed fun.
There’s more information on Deal Town Council’s website at www.deal.gov.uk. Places are limited on many of the rides and other events so book early to avoid disappointment.
Cycle Friendly Deal Project Co-ordinator, Adrian Oliver said “There’s something for everyone during Cycle September. As it is more important than ever, we hope there’s enough to inspire people to keep riding after all the organised activities have ended. And just in case, we’ll have a party in October to help keep things rolling along.”
Cycle Friendly Deal is a Deal Town Council initiative funded by the Government’s Coastal Communities Fund and Deal Town Council. It covers the council areas of Deal, Walmer, Sholden & Mongeham. The project will run until March 2021 and the Project Co-Ordinator is in place until October 2020.
For more information, please contact: