Autumn in Dover, Deal and Sandwich
The children are safely back in school, the early dew appears on the lawn, the leaves are changing colour and our thoughts turn to harvest, to jam making, chutneys, and apple and blackberry crumble! It's also a great time for an autumnal break!
Allow yourself to be tempted by our beautiful countryside and seascapes as we head towards those autumnal days. We've got a lot of great ideas to help you on your way!
- Find a great Place to Stay in Dover, Deal, Sandwich or surrounding villages.
- Browse through the list of local Attractions. Most are open until October before closing for the winter season, but there are plenty that continue to open their doors throughout the year.
- In October things turn spooky! Are you feeling brave enough to take on Kent's most haunted castle? If you are then Dover Castle's Haunted Castle event is for you! Three days of fright are on offer at the East Kent Railway with the popular Halloween Train of Terror. For a full list of events, including those at Betteshanger Park and Crabble Corn Mill, please visit our What's On page.
- To appreciate the dramatic colour of the trees and falling leaves why not stroll through the fabulous Pines Gardens (and stop for a bowl of homemade soup in the tranquil surroundings of their Tea Room!)? Kearsney Parks, Connaught Park and the gardens at Walmer Castle are all great places to appreciate the perfect blend of colours. Betteshanger Park offers space, walking and cycle routes, and stunning country views.
- With plenty of Places to Eat and Drink: Restaurants, cosy Tea Rooms, and traditional Pubs and Micropubs offering great hospitality...you'll be feeling very much at home by a mesmerising log fire!
- You'll be spoilt for choice with our selection of walks and cycle routes. Pop into Dover Visitor Information Centre and Dover Museum to pick up a map. We have details of various walks to suit. Please ask a member of staff who will be happy to help.
- If you can't bear the thought of being separated from your beloved dog, cat, bird or horse then visit our Pet Friendly section and look out for the Quality in Tourism Pets Welcome logo!
For more spooky and non-spooky ideas, please view our Events page!
And don't forget to visit our top attraction before you leave - the stunning White Cliffs of Dover - open daily!