CHALKUP21 Art & Architecture Trail
Discover 21st century art and architecture along the Strait of Dover.
Dover Arts Development's CHALKUP21 is a 17-mile trail that stretches from 'The Wing' at Capel to Deal Pier and can be walked or cycled in any direction. It includes some fine examples of coastal architecture - many of which have achieved prestigious industry awards - built along the Dover Strait in the last 17 years. All of the trail buildings are linked by areas of outstanding natural beauty, be it amongst the rare plant species of the newly created chalk meadow land at Samphire Hoe, the iconic White Cliffs and the view to France across the English Channel or the coastal path along the beach to Deal.
The 9 trail attractions are:
- 'The Wing' at Capel Le Ferne
- Samphire Hoe Education Centre
- Tonkin Liu's 'Three Waves'
- Dover Sea Sports Centre
- North Downs Way START/FINISH line
- 'Gateway to the Cliffs' - the Dover Totems - by Elaine Tribley
- The National Trust's White Cliffs of Dover Visitor Centre
- The Pines Calyx at St Margaret's Bay
- The Niall McLaughlin Deal Pier Café
The partners for this project are Arts Council England, Kent Downs, Eurotunnel, The Bay Trust, Dover Big Local, Dover Town Council and Kent County Council (Members grant), with additional support from The Battle of Britain Memorial Trust, The National Trust, The Port of Dover, The Up on the Downs Landscape Partnership, White Cliffs Countryside Partnership and Dover District Council.