For a fascinating day out on the Kent coast look no further than Deal Castle.
Built by the order of King Henry VIII it is one of the finest Tudor artillery castles in England, and among the earliest and most elaborate of a chain of coastal forts, which also includes Calshot, Camber, Walmer and Pendennis Castles.
Today you can explore the whole of the castle, from the storerooms to the first-floor captain’s residence. Take a walk around the defences and admire the squat, rounded bastions and canons.
If you enjoy cycling, a pleasant cycle path links Deal and Walmer Castles along the beachfront.
Please visit English Heritage website for details.
English Heritage Member: Free
Adult £7.20; Child (5-7 yrs) £4.30; Concession £6.50; Family (2+3) £18.70
- Deal Castle, Victoria Road, Deal, Kent, CT14 7BA
- See location on Google maps.
- Map reference: TR 376522 Lat: 51.21951 Long: 1.40112
- On entry into Deal continue along the 'Strand' past paddling pool. Deal Castle is at end of this road on the right hand side.
- Parking, including disabled visitor parking, is available in the large car park next to the castle. There is a small parking charge of £1.10 per hour, with a maximum stay of 3 hours, to use this car park. This parking charge is refunded upon entry to the castle.
- Accessible by Public Transport : Deal station
Accessibility and Disabled Access
- Castle: accessible via flagstone path and wooden drawbridge. Gatehouse, courtyard and ground floor accessible to visitors in wheelchairs. Wide spiral staircase to upper floors (one handrail). Access to interactive exhibition in basement via a flight of stone steps.
- Parking: parking for disabled visitors opposite castle in grounds of custodian’s cottage. Hearing Impaired Visitors Audio tour with hearing loop included in admission price. Script available.
- Toilets: no wheelchair access.
- Shop: Two steps and narrow doorway; assistance required. Large gate can be opened for easier access to courtyard.
- Prior notice is recommended to enable staff to make arrangements for a more rewarding visit.
Audio tours included in admission price. English, French, German and Dutch.