Fan Bay Deep Shelter
After a period of conservation and renovation, The National Trust has opened Fan Bay Deep Shelter to the public.
These abandoned and forgotten tunnels within the White Cliffs of Dover remind us of a time past.
They were constructed in 1940-1941 as accommodation for the gun battery above.
Follow your Guide deep into the cliffs - in fact, 70 feet underground! 125 steps take you into the shelter and back out again. The tunnels are unlit so the only light will come from head torches. Hard hats are also provided. We advise that you check the visitor information on the White Cliffs of Dover website.
The tour also includes a chance to see the First World War Sound Mirrors up close and find out more about them.
Please check the opening times via the National Trust website.
Tickets are sold at the Fan Bay tunnel entrance on a first-come, first-served basis.
The tunnels are located 1.5 miles from the National Trust White Cliffs Visitor Centre - you can check availability before walking along the cliffs to the entrance.
- Tours leave every 30 minutes from 11am to 3.30pm. The last tour leaves at 3pm.
- Maximum of 12 people on each tour - age restriction of 12 years.
- The National Trust is unable to accept payments by card, due to the remote location.
- Please wear sensible shoes.
- The nearest toilet and catering facilities are located at South Foreland Lighthouse - 0.5 miles away.
Opening Times and Prices
Open 25 - 28 October: 11am - 3.30pm
Closed until end of March
Please visit National Trust Website for details and confirmation of opening times.
- The White Cliffs of Dover.
- See location of White Cliffs of Dover/Fan Bay on Google Maps
- Map Reference TR 337422 Lat: 51.13209 Long: 1.33899
- From A2/A258 roundabout, take A258 towards Dover town centre. After 1 mile turn left into Upper Road, follow for 1 mile. Turn right into entrance.
- The nearest parking is at the White Cliffs of Dover Visitor Centre. There is a small parking charge of £3.50 per car (free for National Trust members). Please note the car park closes each day at 7pm.
- Nearest Railway Station: Dover Priory - 2 miles (3.2 kms).
- Not accessible to wheelchair users and not suitable for those with walking difficulties as there are 125 steep steps in and out of the shelter. Not suitable for children under the age of 12, or those who are claustrophobic.