A unique triple staircase, winding round a central light-well, dropping 140 feet through the cliffs. Built during the Napoleonic Wars to link the Harbour to the barracks on Western Heights, enabling military to ascend or descend quickly.
Opening Times and Prices
Visit the Dover Western Heights website for details.
- The Grand Shaft, Snargate Street, Dover, Kent, CT17 9DA
- See location on Google maps.
- Map reference: TR 317409 Lat: 51.12050 Long: 1.30951
- The Grand Shaft is situated on Western Heights and also accessible just off the A20
- Nearest station : Dover Priory Train Station