Whether you’re a thrill-seeking daredevil, someone out to experience the tranquillity of nature, or a social-butterfly out to enjoy new things, you will absolutely love the unique and quality activities that White Cliffs Country has to offer.
Discover stunning, unforgettable landscapes and an abundance of history and heritage at every turn. We have amazing castles and forts to excite all the family or why not get your walking boots on or cycle along one of the many trails and routes in the district. Visit one of the many gardens and parks for some relaxation or spend some time just watching the world go by from one of our quiet beaches. There really is something for everyone in one of the most beautiful parts of England.
Why not find out more by clicking on the headings below..
World-famous White Cliffs of Dover
Described by many as one of the best places to walk in the country, enjoy spectacular views on an exhilarating cliff top walk on the world-famous White Cliffs. The cliff face reaches up to 300 feet and the cliffs stretch for about 16 miles. On a clear day, you can see the corresponding cliffs of Cap Gris-Nez in France!
Impressive history and heritage
White Cliffs Country and Dover has been inhabited since the Stone Age!
Positioned at the narrowest part of the English Channel, our proximity to France has always been of strategic importance to England, Britain and the continent.
Julius Caesar landed at Walmer during the Roman Invasion of 54 BC, Richborough Roman Fort witnessed both the beginning and almost the end of Roman rule here, and Dover was the prime objective of the invasion plans of William the Conqueror, Napoleon and Hitler.
- Immerse yourself in 2,000 years of history at Dover Castle and explore the secret war time tunnels.
- Discover the world’s oldest known sea-going vessel, the Bronze Age Boat at Dover Museum.
- Find an original Magna Carta and Charter of the Forest in Sandwich's Guildhall Museum.
- See the original Wellington Boots at Walmer Castle; the residence of such famous names as the Duke of Wellington and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
- Visit South Foreland Lighthouse, a striking Victorian landmark on the White Cliffs of Dover.
With three castles, nine museums, four forts, a unique Timeball Tower, a Roman Painted House, windmills to explore, and a wealth of churches and historical monuments... you're sure to be impressed!
Cast your cares away and embrace coastal living! Being by the sea promotes a feeling of relaxation - have you noticed you sleep soundly after a day on the beach? It's the sea air!
Enjoy our beautiful bays and beaches, our coastal walks, our unique piers, fishing boats, yachts in the marina, and our nautical towns - with all their smuggling alleyways and traditions.
Did we mention the local, freshly caught fish and famous Dover sole? We think traditional Fish and Chips always taste better by the coast!
Also, did you know that France is only 21 miles away? You can often see the French coastline so why not stay in White Cliffs Country before heading to Europe or embarking on your cruise holiday?
As well as our striking coastline we also have an abundance of wonderful countryside with stunning views, historic villages and ancient churches. Many of our villages display historic information panels, which describe their origins and history through the centuries.
The gardens, parks and open spaces in White Cliffs Country are also spectacular at all times of the year.
- For generations, artists, designers, writers and musicians have been inspired by our beautiful coastline, chalk downs, stunning countryside, smugglers' alleyways, historical heritage and nautical charisma.
- With connections to Jane Austen, visit the beautiful and peaceful Goodnestone Park Gardens.
- Explore the beautiful and sustainable Pines Calyx Gardens at St Margaret’s Bay.
- Visit Betteshanger Park with woodlands, country walks and cycle track. Wildlife is abundant!
The perfect place for walking and cycling
Whether an experienced walker or casual rambler, join a guided tour or independently explore miles of marked walking and themed trails.
With many cycle routes and trails, bring your own bike or hire one, and also discover the countryside on two wheels!
Exhilarating coastal activities and outdoor pursuits
White Cliffs Country is totally geared up for outdoor lovers so take advantage of its miles of diverse and unspoilt coastline.
Play a round of golf at one of the challenging Championship courses or try a wide range of water based activities at Dover Sea Sports Centre.
If you love wildlife then this is also the place to come with seal spotting trips, nature trails, nature reserves, a wildlife park and conservation centre.
Nestled in the Garden of England, we place huge importance on quality and locally grown produce. From cosy village pubs and beach front bars to festival street food and gourmet restaurants, there’s something for everyone’s taste in White Cliffs Country.
It would be a culinary crime not to visit Sandwich, next to the hamlet of Ham. Did you know... the word “sandwich” for an item of food was probably named after John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, who to avoid interrupting a gambling game, asked for meat to be served between slices of bread.
Quirky hidden gems
Discover one of the many hidden gems in White Cliffs Country. Why not take a tour of Sandwich Guildhall, built in the reign of Elizabeth I or see a fantastic range of maritime exhibits at Deal Museum. Dover’s Roman Painted House or Transport Museum may also take your fancy.
Relax with some retail therapy!
The new St James Retail & Leisure Park in Dover offers a good choice of shops alongside restaurants, cafes and a multiplex cinema. Just a short walk away is De Bradelei Wharf in its beautiful marina setting, and our Market Square and High Street are only moments away.
You’ll find a wealth of independent quirky shops and art galleries for that perfect gift in the town of Deal (winner of the Telegraph’s High Street of the Year), and shopping in medieval Sandwich should also not be missed!
Across White Cliffs Country we have a lively arts, shopping, market (outdoor and indoor) and events scene offering diverse opportunities and experiences for all.
Annual special shopping events include:
- Deal's open air 'Braderie' antiques and memorabilia fayre across the town.
- Walmer's antiques and collectables 'Brocante' fair on Walmer Green.
Festivals, events and regattas
Our festivals and regattas are traditional, fun, full of community spirit and everyone is invited!
Here in White Cliffs Country we have a bounty of annual events.
Traditional ones like:
- Dover's 'White Cliffs Christmas' event in Cruise Terminal 1, complete with market, ice rink, Santa's Grotto and lots more.
- Deal's 'Carnival and Regatta' week, complete with live music, fireworks, traditional fair rides, raft race, lorry-pull, teddy bear picnic and much more. The annual 'Classic Car Motor Show' is also not to be missed.
- Sandwich's 'Folk & Ale Festival', complete with music, dancing and an outdoor stage.
Arts festivals like:
- Deal's popular two-week 'Festival of Music and the Arts', attracting both national and international musicians and artists. The annual Royal Marines Band concert on Walmer Green is also not to be missed.
- Sandwich's 'Arts Week', complete with music, concerts, workshops, drama and film.
- Dover's 'Film Festival', showcasing the events and lives of the people of Dover.
Food & drink festivals include:
- Sandwich's 'Food Fayre' and the 'Sandwich Festival'. Can there be a better place to celebrate food and produce.
- Dover's 'Beer & Cider Festival', featuring real ales and ciders from all over the country, including local specialties.
Visit What’s On to find out more.
So much to see and do! So many memories to take home with you!