Take a walk with us as we stroll through the world of film and TV in Dover.
Film and Drama
- Disney’s Christopher Robin (2018): A film based on the grown-up Christopher Robin starring Ewan McGregor and Hayley Atwell. Filming locations from our district are Port of Dover Cruise Terminal One (Dover Marine Station) and Shakespeare beach.
- King Lear (2018): A modern-day adaptation of the Shakespeare play King Lear starring Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson and Florence Pugh. Filmed in various locations in Dover including Dover Castle, Samphire Hoe and Abbot’s Cliff.
- The Tunnel, series 3 (2017): Vengeance – used various locations throughout East Kent including Port of Dover.
- The Tunnel, series 2 (2016): Sabotage – Port of Dover and Dover Castle.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - Part of the Marvel franchise. Filming included Dover Castle. If you look carefully you will be able to see the entrance to the Wartime tunnels that is used as a secret entrance.
- The Tunnel, Series 1 (2013:) Sky Atlantic crime drama series starring Stephen Dillane and Clémence Poésy. Features Dover
- Wolf Hall (2015): BBC Historical drama based on the book by English author, Hilary Mantel. Filming at Dover Castle.
- Into the Woods (2015): The famous Disney production starring Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, James Corden, and Emily Blunt. Filming at Dover Castle.
- Mr Selfridge, series 3 (2015): featured the South Foreland Lighthouse.
- Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows (2011) The White Cliffs of Dover can be seen in the background of the scene where Sherlock (Robert Downey Jr) and Watson (Jude Law) travel by boat to France.
- Southcliffe: a four part series set in Kent, featured our local East Kent Railway.
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008): Starring Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson and Eric Bana and others. Dover Castle made a very convincing Tower of London!
As seen on TV!
It's exciting when you spot a place you recognise on TV!
- Fantasy Homes by the Sea showcased St Margaret's.
- The Antiques Road Trip featured a few of our popular antique shops with a quick stop at The Roman Painted House for some history and culture.
History is a hot topic in our area with many documentaries and films being shot!
- Dan Snow presented Battlefield Britain with his father, Jon, for the BBC at Drop Redoubt and the Western Heights. He has also shared his knowledge with us at Dover Castle with co-presenter Sian Williams in National Treasures Live.
- Battle Castle with Dan Snow: Dover Castle.
- TV presenter and archaeologist, Neil Oliver, featured The Bronze Age Boat at Dover Museum in his series A History of Ancient Britain.
- The last-ever episode of Time Team, The Boats that Made Britain - A Time Team Special appeared on our TV screens. This told the story of our famous Dover Bronze Age Boat and the reconstruction of the replica with Tony Robinson, the archaeologists and team of experts explaining the process and history.
- Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys featured Dover and Channel Swimming. (2016)
- Secrets of Great British Castles (2015) A Channel 5 series. Historian Dan Jones tells the history of Dover Castle.
Adverts have also featured our special part of the UK.
- In July 2013, British Airways' first A380 and a jet from the Red Arrows team joined up for a flypast over the iconic White Cliffs. British Airways' Senior First Officer Peter Nye said: 'The White Cliffs of Dover were an amazing backdrop and helped us to display the best of British'.