Have you ever been inspired to visit a location after seeing it showcased on TV or in a film?
Film and Drama
- Louis Wain (Due for release in 2020): Filming took place in Deal primarily on the beach at Walmer for a biopic of the English artist Louis Wain starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Clare Foy.
- The Old Guard (Due for release in 2020): Sandwich was transformed into a French town for the film of The Old Guard starring Charlize Theron and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
- Liar, Series 2 (2020) filming took place at Deal Pier, The Marina, Dunkley’s Restaurant and Hotel, Deal Beach parlor, Black Douglas Restaurant in Deal and at Kingsdown Beach and The Zetland Arms.
- Disney’s Christopher Robin (2018): A film based on the grown-up Christopher Robin starring Ewan McGregor and Hayley Atwell. Filming locations from our district are Port of Dover Cruise Terminal One (Dover Marine Station) and Shakespeare beach.
- King Lear (2018): A modern-day adaptation of the Shakespeare play King Lear starring Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson and Florence Pugh. Filmed in various locations in Dover including Dover Castle, Samphire Hoe and Abbot’s Cliff.
- Vanity Fair (2017): filming at Deal for new ITV series.
- Liar (2017): ITV thriller series starring Joanne Froggatt and Ioan Gruffudd. Features Deal Pier, Deal and Kingsdown.
- The Tunnel, series 3 (2017): Vengeance – The Production team were based in Sandwich with various locations throughout East Kent including the Port of Dover.
- The Tunnel, series 2 (2016): Sabotage – Deal Pier, Port of Dover and Dover Castle.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - Part of the Marvel franchise. Filming included Dover Castle. If you look carefully you will be able to see the entrance to the Wartime tunnels that is used as a secret entrance.
- World War Z (2013): The seen where Brad Pitt tries to find a cure for the zombie pandemic was filmed at the Discovery Park in Sandwich.
- The Tunnel, Series 1 (2013:) Sky Atlantic crime drama series starring Stephen Dillane and Clémence Poésy. Features Deal Pier and Dover.
- Wolf Hall (2015): BBC Historical drama based on the book by English author, Hilary Mantel. Filming at Dover Castle.
- Into the Woods (2015): The famous Disney production starring Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, James Corden, and Emily Blunt. Filming at Dover Castle.
- Mr Selfridge, series 3 (2015): featured the South Foreland Lighthouse.
- Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows (2011) The White Cliffs of Dover can be seen in the background of the scene where Sherlock (Robert Downey Jr) and Watson (Jude Law) travel by boat to France.
- Southcliffe: a four part series set in Kent, featured our local East Kent Railway.
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008): A big hit in starring Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson and Eric Bana and others. Dover Castle made a very convincing Tower of London!
- Little Dorrit (2008): An adaptation for the BBC that Dickens would approve of - filmed at Deal Castle.
Other films and drama
- Johnny English (2003)
- The Wind in the Willows (1996)
- Hamlet (1990) directed by Franco Zeffirelli.
- Alfie Darling (1975)
- Diamonds are Forever - Bond Film (1971)
- The War Game (1965)
- Dunkirk (1958)
- To Kill a King
- Lady Jane
As seen on TV!
It's exciting when you spot a place you recognise on TV!
- Kirstie and Phil have tempted clients with properties in our area on more that one occasion in Channel 4's Location, Location, Location and Relocation Relocation!
- Secret Britain, a BBC series showcasing hidden corners of the UK.
- Fantasy Homes by the Sea showcased Deal, St Margaret's and Sandwich.
- The Antiques Road Trip featured a few of our popular antique shops with a quick stop at The Roman Painted House for some history and culture.
- Dominic and Stephanie Parker put Sandwich firmly on the map in Channel 4's Four in a Bed. You will recognise them as the popular 'posh couple' in the award-winning Gogglebox on Channel 4!
History is a hot topic in our area with many documentaries and films being shot!
- Dan Snow presented Battlefield Britain with his father, Jon, for the BBC at Drop Redoubt and the Western Heights. He has also shared his knowledge with us at Dover Castle with co-presenter Sian Williams in National Treasures Live.
- Battle Castle with Dan Snow: Dover Castle.
- TV presenter and archaeologist, Neil Oliver, featured The Bronze Age Boat at Dover Museum in his series A History of Ancient Britain.
- The last-ever episode of Time Team, The Boats that Made Britain - A Time Team Special appeared on our TV screens. This told the story of our famous Dover Bronze Age Boat and the reconstruction of the replica with Tony Robinson, the archaeologists and team of experts explaining the process and history.
- Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys featured Dover and Channel Swimming. (2016)
- Secrets of Great British Castles (2015) A Channel 5 series. Historian Dan Jones tells the history of Dover Castle.
- Renowned wildlife cameraman, Richard Taylor Jones has filmed, presented and captivated us with the water voles along our riverbanks, ravens on our White Cliffs, and 'the secret seals of the South East' with fascinating filming on the Goodwin Sands and further along the coast with the help of Dover Sea Safari who take visitors out on seal spotting trips. These reports and enchanting films were featured on the popular BBC's Autumnwatch, Springwatch and Countryfile.
Adverts have also featured our special part of the UK.
- The Crocodile Dundee legend, Australian actor Paul Hogan, tempted the nation with Foster's Lager on the beautiful beach at Deal!
- In July 2013, British Airways' first A380 and a jet from the Red Arrows team joined up for a flypast over the iconic White Cliffs. British Airways' Senior First Officer Peter Nye said: 'The White Cliffs of Dover were an amazing backdrop and helped us to display the best of British'.
- A host of world-famous celebrities descended on the quiet medieval town of Sandwich for a Walkers Crisps advert. Gary Lineker, Pamela Anderson, JLS, Frank Lampard, Jenson Button, Al Murray, and Marco Pierre White all took part to the delight of the locals who witnessed the filming in their historic town.