Public health advice
Dover District Council have launched a brand new one-stop-shop for getting you safely back to business.
With the Government's gradual easing of lockdown restrictions, our focus is shifting towards getting the local economy back on track. We recognise that the need for continued social distancing, and enhanced hygiene measures, is challenging for many local businesses. Therefore, we have set up our Back to Business Hub to help you find the right support to go back to business safely.
From 15th June 2020, our dedicated hotline will be open from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday.
We are working on building a register to help customers find businesses that are open in the district. Please fill in the Back to Business Form if you are interested in being added to our new app.
VisitBritain/VisitEngland have announced a recovery webinar programme which will launch on Tuesday 30th June. The programme will start with Spotlight on inbound and domestic research and insights – taking a look at their latest trackers, and consumer sentiment surveys. Drawing on expert insight from within VisitBritain/VisitEngland and across the travel industry the free webinar programme offers practical advice for tourism businesses and valuable data-led insight from our global teams.
Key note speakers will include Foresight Factory, Green Tourism, Get Your Guide, City Nation Place, Google Digital Garage, and Buffalo 7. For full details, see VisitBritain/VisitEngland’s Recovery webinars page.
- Read the paper that VisitBritain sent to Cabinet Office on behalf of the tourism industry, detailing how government can help the tourism industry recover from COVID-19.
- As the lockdown is eased, MHCLG will be working to ensure local economies are supported to adapt and grow – in line with the levelling up agenda. Every local economy now needs a restart and recovery plan, the government will be feeding into these plans including guidance on how businesses can adapt for opening and public transport networks can be operated. Ambition is to ensure people feel safe returning to work
- The Government are looking into how more space can be created in town centres for pedestrians and how to make it easier to cycle to work. They will also work with areas hardest hit to help them recover. Infrastructure projects will also continue where safe to do so.
- In response to a clear ask from the industry, a new industry standard quality mark has been launched. The 'We're good to go' COVID-19 industry standard and consumer mark is now available to provide a ‘ring of confidence’ for businesses, attractions and destinations as well as reassurance to local residents and visitors that clear processes are in place and that as a business you are good to go. For full details and how to apply, please visit the Visit Britain website.
- Travlaw have produced another useful update to help businesses prepare to get back to work.
MPs wrote to Chancellor demanding further tourism support
85 MPs have written a joint letter to the Chancellor to express their concern that more needs to be done to support tourism businesses. Specifically they ask that:
- Business rates relief should be extended up to £150,000
- The Furlough Scheme should be extended beyond the lock-down
- The Furlough Scheme needs to be more flexible
- VAT rebates should be introduced
- Tourism VAT should be cut to 5%
- Tailored support should be available to tourism businesses that are currently missing out.
DDC have now issued 1,714 grants totalling over £19.7m to small businesses, and those in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors. This equates to 85% of all the eligible businesses in the district.
- The Government has announced plans for a discretionary fund to accommodate certain small businesses previously outside the scope of the business grant funds scheme. We're awaiting further detail, but this is likely to include support for businesses in shared spaces, regular market traders, small charity properties that would meet the criteria for Small Business Rates Relief, and bed and breakfasts that pay council tax rather than business rates.
Coronavirus and your business - let us know how you're coping
We know the tourism industry is having a tough time – locally, nationally and internationally - and our thoughts go out to everyone affected by the current situation.
In order that we start planning for the recovery phase, it would help us to understand your current challenges. This short questionnaire, via Survey Monkey, should take no longer than three (3) minutes to complete and your answers will be confidential. Individual company names will not be attributed in any reporting.
Thank you, as ever, for your time and support. We wish you well and look forward to hearing from you.
Open for business
Things to do:
White Cliffs of Dover
National Trust Car Park open from 9am - 6pm
Battle of Britain Memorial
Open but visitors must socially distance. The Wing and car park is closed. Contact 01303 249292.
Wingham Wildlife Park
Open by booking only. More information visit Wingham Wildlife Park website.
English Heritage Sites
Walmer Castle, Deal Castle, Richborough Fort & Dover Castle all to open with limited access. Book time slot and find out more information on English Heritage website.
Open for visitors to walk along but no fishing.
Open as usual.
Goodnestone Park Gardens
Now open 11am till 5pm, the Old Diary Café remains closed.
Park open including car parks but toilets are closed to the public.
Open Friday, Saturday and Sunday, private lessons to regular clients only. Contact 01304 380369.
Day ticket sales for coarse lakes only, day tickets limited to 25 a day on first come first served basis and must be booked and paid for the day. Contact 01304 380691.
Prince's Golf Club
Members 2 ball bookings, 7 days a week and limited number of 2 ball tee times to visitors. Monday only for non-members. For more info email: email@example.com or phone 01304 611118
Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club
Course open for 2 ball play by members and guests. See website for details www.royalcinqueports.com
Royal St. George's Golf Club
Open to members only. See website for details www.royalstgeorges.com
Walmer & Kingsdown Golf Club
Open for Members only. See website for details: www.kingsdowngolf.co.uk
Dover Sea Safari
Open but with very limited seating. Book online only at https://www.doverseasafari.co.uk/covid-safe
Places to eat:
Takeaway and non-contact delivery. Friday and Saturday 5pm - 8pm, Sunday 12.30pm - 3.30pm. Contact 01304 214467.
Order online for takeaway - visit website for menu. Tuesday - Thursday 3pm - 7pm, Friday and Saturday 1pm - 7pm. Contact 01304 204505.
Little Farthingloe Farm
Takeaway only. Monday - Sunday 9am - 4pm
Beer & pizza takeaway, Thursday - Saturday. Contact 01304 410144 or visit Facebook page.
The Lantern Inn
Takeaway Sunday lunch - £10 a head. Order by 3pm on Saturday. Card payment over the phone or cash in an envelope. Contact 07415 968896 or visit Facebook page.
Takeaaway only. Visit website for menu details. Monday - Saturday 12 noon - 10pm. Contact 01304 208044.
Dino's Italian Restaurant
Takeaway only. Visit website for menu details. Open Tuesday - Sunday 12 noon - 2pm and 6pm - 10pm.
The Olive Tree Restaurant
Takeaway only. Visit website for menu details. Monday - Sunday 6.30am - 10pm.
The Hythe Bay
Takeaway only, Monday - Sunday 10am - 10pm.
The Boardwalk Cafe at De Bradelei Wharf
Outdoor seating. Monday - Saturday 9.30am - 4.30pm / Sunday 10.30pm - 4pm.
Shelly's Tea Rooms
Outdoor seating. Monday - Sunday 10am - 4pm / closed Wednesday and Thursday.
Takeaway and delieveries only for burgers & hotdogs. Visit website for menu detail. See social media site for opening times.
Takeaway & Delivery from 2pm. Open: Tuesday - Thursday 2pm - 9.30pm / Friday - Saturday 12 noon - 9.30pm / Sunday 12pm - 8pm. Order online - www.salentinos.com.
Takeaway only. Visit website for menu details. Opening Times: Monday - Saturday 12 noon - 2pm & 5.30pm - 11.30pm / Sunday 12 noon - 11pm.
Takeaway only. Monday - Sunday 11am - 8pm
Open for takeaway ice cream. Monday - Sunday 11am- 5pm.
Coach & Horses
Takeaway food service. Order before 4pm on Thursday for collection for Friday lunch and evening. Order before 4pm on Friday for collection for Sunday lunch. Contact 01304 617063.
The Three Compasses
Takeaway menu for local delivery and collection, booking line open 10am - 6pm Wednesday - Saturday. See website for menu details and contact 01304 374661.
Takeaway food and drink. Thursday: Burger night 4.30pm - 7.30pm. Tuesday: Pie night 5pm - 8pm. Saturday: Fish & Chips 12 noon - 3pm. Contact 01304 370114.
The Freed Man
Takeaway beer. May close earlier if demand low, Thursday and Fri 4pm - 9pm / Saturday 1pm - 9pm.
Open for collection and delivery only. Contact 01304 614411.
Papa's The Deep Blue Fish & Chips
Open for takeaway, Monday - Saturday 11.30am - 9pm / Sunday 12pm - 8pm.
The Indian Village
Open for collection and delivery (£2.50 charge on delivery). Tuesday - Saturday 5.30pm - 10.30pm / Sunday 6pm - 9pm.
George & Dragon
Orders are taken by phone from 3pm until 8pm. For more details visit Facebook page.
Hop & Huffkin
For collection or delivery. Thursday - Saturday 5pm - 10pm. Sunday roast - Sunday 12pm - 5pm. Contact 01304 448560.
Menus published each day as they may change slightly based on deliveries. Wednesday - Sunday evening. Contact 01304 813723 or visit Facebook page.